Monday, June 9, 2008

Free Plagiarism Protection

I put a lot of effort into my writing. Before I feature a website on this blog, I try it out first and/or sign up for it so I could write well about it. Sadly, there are some who just copy other people's writings and ideas without acknowledging the source. My best friend, who runs a website on Freebie Trading, was a victim of this. Several people copied her website verbatim! Just an example of how plagiarism has truly become a rampant problem on the Internet.

Therefore, I'm thankful that there's a service like Copyscape. It's really a laudable project, and a very useful tool for writers and bloggers. Copyscape is a website that helps you discover if your content has been copied without your permission. It works like a search engine. Just type in your URL and Copyscape searches for websites that have copied your content, including those that have the same sentences as yours. Pretty neat, huh?

One cool thing about Copyscape is that it provides free plagiarism warning banners that you could post on your website. Of course, you should only post such banner if the content is originally yours. The banner may not totally protect you from "copycats", but hopefully it decreases the chances of your content being copied without your permission.

Copyscape's free service allows you up to 10 searches a month, while a premium account provides you with thousands of searches and an unlimited number of results.

So plagiarists, beware. The next time you attempt to plagiarize someone else's work, there's Copyscape to track you down and expose you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was wondering if I may add you to my blogroll?

Anonymous said...

scape does not work as well as it use to. Try Google Alerts and Google Blog Search. That is where I find my copied content. :(

Anonymous said...

Your best protect from Plagiarism is insure you have properly posted your copyright for 'your' original content.

Tracking it down after the fact in most cases only serves to make you mad, but does nothing to prevent it from occurring again on another of your post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! I didn't know anything like this exsisted!